Monday, June 28, 2004

Turkish people in Berlin

I have been asked to say something about Turkish people in Berlin (in response to my comment on May 1st riots and that they have nothing to do with the Turkish community)
So I thought about Turkish people in Berlin. The first answer is quite striking, I don't know that many.
Most of them live in other parts of Berlin: Kreuzberg, Schöneberg, Wedding, Neukölln (all parts of former West Berlin). I live in Reinickendorf. (Northern part of former West Berlin) When the Turkish people came as foreign workers during the 60s they came into neighborhoods with more affordable rents. To a large extent they still live there.

So the few Turkish people I know, don't live in these areas:
1. A colleague of my mom. I played with his kids (same age as me) when we where young
2. My doctor. He graduated from medical school in Istanbul before coming to Germany. He lives around the corner.
3. A classmate. In my graduation year from highschool we were 128 graduates. One of them was Turkish.

On the other hand, there are areas in Berlin where turkish people are the majority. However, I would not see those areas as ghettos or slums. I have accidentally come through a slum in Chicago and have been through some less nice neighborhoods of LA, I don't see any areas in Berlin that could compare.

These days talking about people who pray to Allah is often connected to radical Islamism. There are many mosques in Berlin and Islamism is an issue. However, Berlin has worse problems than Islamism. While some German girls are afraid to walk through Wedding by night, I am not. I actually feel more threatened in other areas of Berlin like Marzahn or Hellersdorf. These areas in former East Berlin are notorious for skinheads and neo-nazis.

In summary,
a lot is left to do to integrate foreign people better into our community while not making them abandon their cultural identity. It is tough and both sides need to increase their efforts. However, the Turkish community in Berlin always has been and still is a valuable part of Berlin culture.
Even the Nazis eat Döner Kebab. (famous Turkish fast food, first made in Berlin and nowhere else to be found cheaper or better than here)

2 comments:

t'su said...

"Döner Kebab. (famous Turkish fast food, first made in Berlin and nowhere else to be found cheaper or better than here)"

>>Emphatically agreed!

I lived in Bonn for about six months a few years ago. Bonn hosted a large Turkish population. From what I could tell, most turks were well integrated and treated respectfully. But some Turks, partic those that dressed in behaved in a "Turkish" manner (which was clearly different from the Bonners, but I'm at a loss to accurately articulate why), seemed not to be well received.

Milani said...

Doener kebab? Oh.. YES, Yes YES!!! Miss them!!

I thought Kreuzberg, one of the Turkish ghetoes, was a friendly neighborhood. I would have enjoyed staying there while studying. So close to the bakeries... ah! = ) = )