Saturday, April 10, 2004

The scriptures of Mel

Yesterday night I went to watch the Passion of the Christ.
It touched me. It is really incredible how much torture a human being can endure. Especially if (according to the bible) he did it freely. He chose to endure it.

I felt much compassion, especially for mother Mary during the film. However, faith-wise the film didn't have any effect on me. Maybe it was due to the nature of the project. Gibson intended to show the suffering, the Passion. He did. Hard to believe how much blood fits inside a human being. Much criticism has arisen from the way Gibson combined the four Gospels into his own version. That alone isn't a good point because every movie about Jesus does that.

I can understand why jews today feel scape goated in that movie. Some of the characters (especially among the high priests) look like the caricatures the Nazis printed in their yellow press paper "Der Stürmer". But even in Mel's version not all the jews want Jesus dead.
So I wouldn't say that the movie is anti-semite. It is as anti-semite as the bible, I guess. So if we decide to live with the amount of blame that the bible casts on the jews we have to live with the message of the movie as well. I think the romans come off at least as badly. Pilate as an incompetent administrator and his soldiers as bloodthirsty beasts.

Final impression of the movie: Much ado about nothing.
Moving? yes
Inspiring? No
Hatemongering? Not really.

No comments: