Sunday, April 11, 2004

Two members of German Special Forces "GSG 9" probably shot in Iraq

The situation is still unclear. But two Germans are missing in Iraq since their convoy was ambushed near Falluja. Actually, I don't know what they did there, because German forces are not involved in the occupation of Iraq. Probably they are there because the GSG 9 counts as police force and not as part of the military.

In any case, correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know these would be the first two non-civilian German victims in the Iraq conflict.
(I think there have been casualties among the journalists)

According to media reports a reporter from British Sunday telegraph supposedly claimed to have seen the bodies of two Germans.

I don't know if that will add a different perspective to German views on the conflict.

My guess is, that public opinion will even more than before stress that the situation in Iraq is out of control and that one shouldn't have gone there in the first place.

However, the government has made its point clear several times: Germany didn't agree with the US that the war was the best decision to be made, but will do everything in its power to help the allied forces succeed in building a democratic and peaceful Iraq as long as it can be done without the involvement of German troops.

I am curious to observe if that opinion will change in the near future.

No comments: